5th Gen 4Runner Mods (Part 1)
5th Gen 4Runner Mods (Part 1) – Where to Start?
Where to start with 5th Gen 4Runner Mods (Trail, Sr5, Limited and TRD Pro)
From Stock to “Oh yeah, that’s Looking Good” in 4 steps
Jump to another section:
- 5th Gen 4Runner Wheels
- 5th Gen 4Runner Lift Mods
- 5th Gen 4Runner Leveling Kit Mod
- 5th Gen 4Runner Grill Mods
- 5th Gen 4Runner Rock Sliders
- 5th Gen Bumper or Hidden Winch Mount
- 5th Gen 4Runner Performance Mods
- 5th Gen 4Runner Aftermarket Accessories
- 5th Gen 4Runner Off-Road Accessories
- Top 10 5th Gen 4Runner Mods
Ok, first thing is first, when you get a new 5th Gen 4runner, you wanna mod it out. Where do you start? There are hundreds of options and mods when it comes to decking out your 5th Gen. Should you go straight into your 4Runner with a TRD Cold Air Intake with a dope MagnaFlow exhaust?
Or, should you go a little more outside the box with a Roof Rack and a set of LED lights or a lightbar to start? Furthermore, you could just opt for a new aftermarket 4Runner grille with the perfectly, designed to match lightbar.
Last but not least, just go straight for a Toytec 5th Gen 4Runner lift kit, Afterall, that’s all we really want right… a slightly lifted 3″- 3.5″ lift kit with some AT (All Terrains) tailored with a custom set of wheels.
There are so many options when it comes to modding out your 5th Gen. We could all go broke in a day buying all the items we want to add to our stock 5th Gen.
The Basics on 5th Gen 4Runner Mods (Small but Important)
- 4Runner Rain Guards – Check Today’s Price
- 4Runner Center Console Organizer – Check Today’s Price
- 4Runner Floor Mats – Check Today’s Price
- 4Runner Rear Cargo Mat – Check Today’s Price
- 4Runner Blackout Emblem Kit – Check Price
That should wrap up the initial modding of your 4Runner. These are the basic interior and exterior mods that we would do to any 4Runner before we actually start with the next-level mods. You can start in any order you want, but it is always nice to start small and work your way up. That way, you can get a feel for your 4Runner inside and out. Once you are comfortable playing around with the little mods here and there, you can jump into the bigger installs, like aftermarket steps, intakes, exhaust, and many other.
Our New 2016 SR5 4Runner is the Second Addition to our Family!
We bought the 2014 Trail 4Runner back in August of 2014, and now we are bringing home this new 2016 SR5 4Runner (White) Third Row. I didn’t even know that it had the third row until the girl brought it home. The third row 4Runner is super hard to find. Not that it is anything very special, it is just incredibly hard to find. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a third row 4Runner. The 2016 SR5 4Runner along with the Limited 4Runner models both have OPTIONS for third-row seating, but the Trail Premium and the TRD Pro models do not.
Where to start with the 5th Gen 4Runner Mods?
- 4Runner Mod #1 – Replace 4Runner Running Boards with Nerf Bars
- 4Runner Mod #2 – 4Runner Window Tint
- 4Runner Mod #3 – Replace OEM Tires with AT (All Terrains)
- 4Runner Mod #4 – Replace OEM 4Runner Wheels
We have a clean slate to work with on this SR5 4Runner, so here is my take on where to start with your 5th Gen 4Runner mods. Keep in mind, this is our vision for step 1 of the SR5 4Runner mods, everyone’s is going to be a little bit different, so we would love to hear your comments at the bottom.
4Runner Mod #1 – Replace OEM Running Boards with Nerf Bars
I put this as the first item on the list for 5th Gen 4Runner mods because the OEM running boards scream soccer mom. Even if you mod out any other area of your 4Runner and run the OEM running boards, it will still have that “basic” look. There are a few options that come to mind for replacing the OEM running boards with 4Runner Rock Sliders and Nerf Bars.
Best Options for 5th Gen 4Runner Nerf Bars
- N-fab Nerf Bars Full Review
- Shrockworks Nerf Bars – Tube or Dimpled Tread Plates
- Trail Gear Rock Slider Kit
- White Knuckle Off-Road Sliders
- (OEM – Toyota) D-cab Black Oval Tube Step Kit
- C4 Fabrication Rock Sliders/ Steps
4Runner Mod #2 – Window Tint
- Front Window: 50%
- Front Side Windows: 35%
- Rear Windows: 3% over factory 20%
Tinting a 5th Gen 4Runner is a must. The only thing I dislike about tinting the windows all the way around is looking in the rear-view. If you go with 20% tint on the back window and all the way around, you will be fine. But, the 5th Gen 4Runner already comes with a factory window tint at 20%. So, if you are going to add another layer of 20% tint film over the factory tint, you would be at 10%. I think that is how it works, correct me if I am wrong.
4Runner Mod #3 – Replace OEM Tires with AT (All Terrains)
- Wide Selection of Tires: (All Terrain Tires 17″ on Amazon)
If you can wait the 2-4 years it takes to wear down the stock OEM tires, then wait until you run your tread down to 20-30%.
If you are impatient and want some meaner looking tires on your 5th Gen now, then do your research and find a set of All-Terrain tires that will stand out and perform under the harshest winter and off-road conditions. Budget is always an item on the table, so I am going to break down my top selection of AT (All-Terrain) Tires by price range.
$50-$100/ per tire (265/55r20)
I personally do not recommend anything under $100 when buying all-terrain tires. Either they will be made in China with some off-brand name or underperform when you need them the most. Try heading down to the next bracket.
$100-$200/ per tire (265/55r20)
A perfect range for anyone looking for a fresh set of all-terrain tires. Any worthwhile AT tire is going be in this range.
- Yokohama Geolandar A/T: $120 (Light tread depth)
- Firestone Destination A/T: $120-$150
- General Grabber A/T: $120-$170
- Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T: $150 – Top Choice
- Toyo Open Country A/T: $150
- Cooper Discoverer A/T: 150 (Bad Ass)
$200-$500/ per tire (265/55r20)
Stepping it up in this range of tires will get you some serious rubber, tread pattern options and tires that will push through anything you throw at them.
- BF Goodrich KO2 A/T: $250-$350
- Toyo Open Country A/T 2: $260
- Nitto Trail Grapplers A/T: $300
- Goodyear Duratrac A/T: $400+
- Cooper Discoverer STT Pro Off Road Tire A/T: $400+ – Top Choice
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac A/T: $400+
4Runner Mod #4 – Replace OEM Wheels with Something Epic
When it comes to wheels, the options are endless. This is the most exciting part about modding out your 5th Gen 4Runner. Most of the TRD pros are coming off the lot with the aftermarket TRD Wheels, which are awesome. The only problem with these wheels is that everyone has them. Not a bad thing, just every TRD Pro you see, they have a set of the TRD wheels. Throwing a set of TRD 4Runner wheels on a stock Sr5 would never be a bad thing, I would just like to see a little more originality in today’s 5th Gen 4Runner world. For another idea on 5th Gen Wheel Inspiration, check out the Fuel 20″ Vapor Wheels with KO2’s we put on the 2016 SR5 4Runner.
I would rather go for an option that is not often seen. There are quite a few options to choose from when it comes to 5th Gen 4Runner wheels.
Best Options (Brands) for 5th Gen 4Runners
- TRD SEMA Wheels
- TRD Beadlock Wheels
- SCS wheels – stealthcustomseries.com
- Fuel Off-Road
- Level 8 MK6 Wheels
- kmcwheels.com – Mean Lineup of Black Wheels
- MB72’s Black – Classic
- atxwheels.com – Currently on our 2014 Trail 4Runner
- methodracewheels.com (301) – Classic
I could go on for hours about wheels. Another great place to check out inspiration for wheels is the forums. But I thought this list above is a nice go-to list of 5th Gen 4Runner wheel options. I have never seen this list put together but I think it should help some you out there looking for some actual websites and all product lines.
This is just part 1 of the 5th Gen 4Runner Mods section. We plan on doing a 5th Gen 4Runner Mods Part 2 and 5th Gen 4Runner Mods Part 3 next. Stay tuned and check back often for more installs and mods on the amazing 5th Gen 4Runner.
Stay Crawling, or Mall Crawling my friends.
Please comment below, we would love to hear your thoughts on any of the mentioned topics above!