Fog Lights 5th Gen 4Runner (Squadron Options)
Fog Lights 5th Gen 4Runner Squadron-R Pros
4900 Lumen UTV 5th Gen 4Runner Fog Lights Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros
The Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros might just be the best fog light set-up for the 5th Gen 4Runner. There are hundreds of light options in the fog light category, including the classic fog light LED swap 5th Gen 4Runner but in my personal opinion, the Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros smokes them all. But, it all depends on how much money you want to spend on a pair of lights and how bright you want your lights to be on-road/off-road.
The two most popular off-road light options for fog lights on a 5th Gen 4Runner are the Rigid Industries D-Series Fog Lights and the Baja Designs Squadron Fog Lights.
The Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros are the most expensive but you can still grab a pair of the Baja Designs Squadron-R Sports for about half the price. While the Baja Designs Squadrons are top of the line price, the Rigid Industries D-Series Fog Lights are still pretty pricey and about the same cost as the Baja Designs Squadron-R Sports.
Best Options for 5th Gen 4Runner Fog Lights
- Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport Fog Lights: The Squadron-R Sport is the lower-end model of Baja Designs fog lights for the 5th Gen but still pack a quality punch. Coming in at 1900 lumens, they will shine up to 300 feet with a wide diameter and give will you plenty of visibility at night.
- Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros Fog Lights: The Squadron-R Pros are the top-end fog lights from Baja Designs made for the upper echelon of lighting. The Squadron-R Pros pack 4900 lumens and will shine up to 500 feet with an even wider diameter than the Squadron-R Sports. These are the true off-road fog lights for your 4Runner.
- Rigid Industries D-Series Fog Lights: DOT/SAE (Department of Transportation/Society of Automotive Engineers) Approved. These lights are cool to run at all times while the Squadron-R Pros and the Squadron-R Sports are not. The Baja Design Squadrons are bright and typically run on UTVs (Utility Vehicles). The Rigid Industries D-Series Fog Lights are a good all-around light. The most common model installed on the 4Runner is the Rigid Industries Dually D2 Driving LED Light (Product #50231). This packs an Unbreakable polycarbonate lens, a 50,000-hour lifespan, 6 LEDs per lamp, and 28 watts.
Which 4Runner Fog Lights are best for you?
It’s easy. If you want to run the most conservative aftermarket fog light for your 5th Gen 4Runner, run with the Rigid Industries Dually D2 Driving LED Light (Product #50231). If you want a brand that’s a step up, I would go with Baja Designs Squadron-R Sports (This is a solid middle ground for Fog Lights).
And, if you want to flush the trail with white lights, go with the Squadron-R Pros. The Squadron-R Pros are about the best you will get with aftermarket 4Runner fog lights. But, it is important to note that you will blind some people on the road and you might get some middle fingers. But, we’re not complaining over here.
Exactly What Lights to Buy?
- The Best Squadrons Available (Squadron-R Pros): Check Today’s Price
- Average Squadrons (Squadron-R Sports): All-Around Best Buy – Check Price
- Amber Lights (Squadron-R Sports): Popular Off-Road Lights – Check Price
- 4Runner Squadron Mounting Bracket: Don’t forget this bracket!
- General Use Fog Lights (Rigid D-Series): Check Today’s Price
- Standard LED Fog Light Upgrade (Much more affordable): Check (H16) Bulb Price
The only thing I don’t like about the Rigid Industries Dually D2 Driving LED Light is that they do not have the flush bezel like the Baja Designs Fog Lights have or offer.
If you go with the Rigid Industries Dually D2 Driving LED Lights. you will have a gap in between your fog plastics and the actual lights. This is one of the main reasons we bought the Baja Design Squadrons.
Bright White Fog Lights – 5th Gen 4Runner
- Top Pick: Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros
Bright white lights are just about industry standard for fog lights on your 4Runner. There are resources like Xenon Depot and The Retrofit Source that sell fog lights for your 4Runner.
These resources are more or less for general brighter fog lights. And, they are great resources. But, if you want to go with a brighter light, one that is made for off-road trails at night, you will want to go with a different brand.
These two brands, as we have mentioned above are Baja Designs and Rigid Industries. These are not the only brands that make fog lights for the 5th Gen 4Runner, but probably the two highest-quality brands.
Amber Fog Lights – 5th Gen 4Runner
- Top Pick: Baja Designs Squadron-R Pros Amber
Amber fog lights are amazing for night vision on a trail. Amber lights are incredibly soft on the eyes and will add superior performance to your off-road and off-road night experience.
Also, amber fog lights are great for all-weather situations. Amber fog lights will cut through the fog, rain, snow and other distracting road conditions all while giving your 4Runner much better and much more clear vision. Amber lights are also an incredibly common install on the 5th Gen 4Runner.
The only reason why we did not go with amber fog lights is that we have a 30″ Baja Designs amber lightbar going in our grill once we install the C4 Fabrication front bumper. So, we wanted to run some combo/driving white lights on the sides.
Amber Fog Light Filters for the 4Runner
- Top Pick: Lamin-x T649Y Fog Light Cover
If you are running bright white LEDs on your 4Runner, you may want to look into amber filters. Amber fog light filters for the 5th Gen 4Runner are small sticky sheets that stick onto your fog lights that throw off an amber hue. Amber fog filters are an interesting topic. Some people love them, some people hate them.
We will let you be the judge. I personally don’t see anything wrong with them. If you are heading out on a trail and you know you are going to hit heavy night sections where visibility is poor, why not throw some on.
The amber fog light filters are super affordable and they get the job done. The only downside is serious weather conditions can cause peeling on the amber filters. But, for the most part, these filters are incredibly strong.
Blackout Infrared Light – Fog Lights for 5th Gen 4Runner
- Top Pick: Baja Design Squadron-R Pro 850nm IR LED
As always, I jump the gun in buying mods for the 4Runner. If I would have done a little research beforehand or read a blog post like this one, I would have been able to make a better decision on what fog light to buy for the 4Runner.
If I could buy fog lights again, I would have purchased the Baja Design Squadron-R Pro 850nm IR LED Driving (part #597073). The Infrared Lights are pretty bad ass. These lights are for serious dark nights and possibly for hunters who are looking not to spook animals as the lights are not visible to the naked eye.
Check This Video out on YouTube – These are just different lights altogether and really not meant for Fog Lights but they are pretty amazing.
What Fog Light should you buy for your 4Runner?
With all of the options out there, it is hard to decide on any one fog light. Hopefully this article brings a little light to the 5th Gen 4Runner world and helps you get a little bit closer to exactly what fog light you should buy. In any case, cheers my friends.
Did we miss anything? If you think we are leaving something out or would like to add a suggestion for the page, please leave a comment below.